- Friday 20 November 2009
Sunshine Coast Council today endorsed a draft economic development strategy for consultation with business and the community.
Mayor Bob Abbot said the strategy represented a significant step forward in council’s efforts to diversify the region’s economy.
“We have said we want the Sunshine Coast to be Australia’s most sustainable region and a sustainable economy is central to that vision,” Cr Abbot said.
Economic Development and Entrepreneurship portfolio chair Councillor Lew Brennan said the goal for council’s economic development is to have a mature, diversified economy based on our unrivalled quality of life, our natural environment and our commitment to sustainability.
“Our aim is to build our economy so that it is resilient to the peaks and troughs of the economic cycle and for our businesses, our infrastructure and our technology to have a reputation for sustainability and success, nationally and internationally,” Cr Brennan said.
“This draft strategy sets out council’s approach to working with our partners to deliver economic development.”
Council’s priorities in the delivery of this goal as outlined in the Corporate Plan are:
- A broad economic base
- Support for local businesses
- Infrastructure for economic growth
- A sustainable tourism industry
- A strong rural sector
To provide feedback the community is invited to
- Fill in an online feedback form at www.business.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au
- Email comments and views to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or arrange to meet with a representative from council’s Economic Development Branch by phoning 07 5475 8501 or faxing 07 5441 8338.