- Friday 22 October 2010
The unique history and art of the Sunshine Coast will be on display this Saturday (23 October 2010) for Community Museum Open Day at various locations across the region.
The day marks the first regional promotion of community museums, with many opening specifically to promote cultural heritage across the Coast and disclose their significant collections.
Cultural Heritage Curator Olivia Robinson said the open day provided an opportunity for people throughout the Coast to visit their local community museum to discover more about the region’s unique and rich cultural heritage.
“Hidden treasures and little-known facts about the region's history and heritage will be open for discovery at various locations across the Sunshine Coast, a region that boasts 26 diverse private and public collections,” Ms Robinson said.
Also currently on display with a similar theme is Up the Coast: Our Stories Our Collections: Sunshine Coast Heritage Collectionsexhibition at the Cooroy Butter Factory Arts Centre which celebrates the history of the Coast as a holiday destination. It features objects, photographs and stories from Sunshine Coast community museums and libraries, the Sunshine Coast Council Art Collection, Bankfoot House and some private collectors.
Community museums open on Saturday 23 October 2010 include:
- Queensland Air Museum, Caloundra from 10am to 4pm
- Bankfoot House, Glasshouse Mountains from 9am to 3pm
- Maleny Historical Society, Maleny from 10am to 2pm
- Nambour and District Historical Museum, Nambour from 1pm to 4pm
- Buderim Historical Society and Pioneer Cottage, Buderim from 11am to 3pm
- Discover Eumundi, Eumundi from 9am to 3pm
- Yandina Historic House (near Buderim Ginger Factory), Yandina from 10am to 3pm
- Noosa Museum, Pomona from 10am to 4pm
- Kenilworth Museum, Kenilworth from 10am to 2pm.
More information about locations of community museums and cultural heritage places across the Sunshine Coast can be found on council’s website.