Coast waterpark a ‘splash’ closer with earthworks approval
  • Tuesday 05 September 2017
Image

The next wave of approvals to facilitate a world-class waterpark have been given the go ahead with stage one bulk earthworks for the $450 million development approved by Sunshine Coast Council on September 5.

Mayor Mark Jamieson said the approval represented a major milestone for the project and would help with job creation on the Sunshine Coast.

“Once completed, this waterpark will attract new visitors to the region, visitors who would most likely extend their length of stay and generate a substantial economic boost,’ Mayor Jamieson said.

“I know there have been many people keenly awaiting this approval which offers a great option for this piece of land.

“Council has always supported appropriate development of the site in line with community expectations.

“New tourist attractions generate new business, which in turn offers more enduring employment opportunities for our residents and helps to deliver new facilities and services to meet the needs of our communities.

“Our tourism offer on the Sunshine Coast must also continue to be diverse and attractive to a wide variety of interests.

“At the end of the day, our community is the winner when we attract new investment to our region.”

SANAD Capital’s Chief Executive Officer Bradley P. Sutherland said preparations to engage local contractors to begin moving earth is top of the priority list.

“We are very excited about receiving approval to begin bulk earthworks, we have already started preparations to engage local contractors and look forward to bringing this development to reality,’ Mr Sutherland said.

“Tenders went out last week to six local civil contractors based on the Sunshine Coast and surrounding areas, who will have the opportunity to submit their bids to complete the bulk earthworks for the entire site.

“The bulk earthworks will entail around 150,000 cubic metres of cut to fill, including a new lake area and the beautification of the existing waterways, and immediate preparations for Stage 1 of construction, and all future stages.

“The project will add significantly to the Coast’s tourism and entertainment sector, and will be particularly effective for attracting domestic and international visitors."

A development application for phase two and three of the project is anticipated to be lodged with council by late 2017.