- Wednesday 27 February 2019
The event will include live performances including Andrea Kirwin, community choir sing-a-longs, cultural dance and performances, workshops, games and an array of multicultural cuisines taking people on a cultural feast around the world.
Members of the Sunshine Coast multicultural community are also invited to display their unique traditional outfits and join in the Global Hub Fashion Parade.
Mayor Mark Jamieson said the Sunshine Coast Voices of Harmony event is a time to celebrate and reflect on the rich cultural heritage of the Sunshine Coast.
“The Sunshine Coast Multicultural Action Plan highlights our region had a diverse and growing multicultural population, with one in every five residents born overseas, representing 156 countries, 45 faiths and 96 languages,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“It also identifies the importance of recognising, respecting and embracing diverse cultures and striving to strengthen the resilience and prosperity of our multicultural Sunshine Coast.
“Events like Harmony Day enrich understanding and inclusion in our diverse communities.
“By valuing our diversity and providing equal opportunity to all, we are realising our vision for the Sunshine Coast to be Australia’s most sustainable region – healthy, smart, creative.”
Community Portfolio Councillor Jenny McKay said by participating in Harmony Day, we are celebrating the many cultures who call the Sunshine Coast home.
“The message for Harmony Day is ‘everyone belongs’, reinforcing the importance of inclusiveness to all Australians,” Cr McKay said.
“There is no doubt our diversity helps makes the Sunshine Coast a great place to live and we invite people to visit the Harmony Day ‘Everyone Belongs on the Sunshine Coast’ photo booth to celebrate our region’s cultural diversity.
“We have secured some fantastic live performers and entertainment and I encourage friends and family to come together at Cotton Tree Park to connect, to share, learn and appreciate our communities’ diversity.”
Harmony Day coincides with the United Nations International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
Sunshine Coast Voices of Harmony community event
10am – 3pm on Saturday, March 23
Join in the Voices of Harmony celebrations – a day of cultural respect for everyone who calls Sunshine Coast and Australia home. Wear orange to show your support for cultural diversity and an inclusive Australia.
• Welcome to Country.
• Andrea Kirwin, an earthy blend of folk, funk, roots, reggae and soul infused songs from the heart.
• Samoko, a fusion of ancient traditional African and modern Afro grooves.
• Join community choir sing-a-longs with Hot Ginger Chorus, Inspirational Choir and Cool Harmonies.
• USC School of Music perform the Sunshine Coast Harmony Day Anthem.
• Enjoy cultural dance performances and music from Indonesia, PNG, Fiji, Persia, Africa, Tonga, India and many more.
• Join a workshop, play traditional games from around the world, hear stories and discover customs.
• Men, women and children are invited to display their unique traditional outfits and join in the Global Hub Fashion Parade.
• Local stallholders will provide an array of multicultural cuisines taking people on a cultural feast around the world.
Join in the conversation on council’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by sharing images and the hashtag #harmonyday.