- Thursday 21 June 2018
A multi-million dollar project to redevelop The Events Centre, Caloundra and continued investment to upgrade Bulcock Street are two of the big ticket items for Division 2 in Sunshine Coast Council’s 2018/19 budget delivered today (June 21).
Divisional Councillor Tim Dwyer said The Events Centre would undergo a major redevelopment as part of a funding partnership between Sunshine Coast Council and the Federal Government.
Council will contribute $4.6 million this financial year to the region’s premier performing arts venue.
“The redevelopment will include upgrades and enhancements to the existing building to ensure the venue continues to attract top end national and international entertainment and performances,” Cr Dwyer said.
“The venue offers our residents access to an array of cultural opportunities and business events.
“It’s an incredibly important part of the economic and social fabric of our region.”
The improvements to Bulcock St will continue with $3 million allocated to the on-going revitalisation of the Caloundra CBD.
“The project is part of a master plan aimed at making Caloundra’s city centre more attractive to visitors while also increasing the number of locals living and working in the heart of our division,” Cr Dwyer said.
“We will also continue on the Burke St extension ($1.8 million) which will improve traffic flow for people around Golden Beach.”
There is plenty of good news for Division 2 parks in the budget with $678,000 allocated for recreation park and landscape amenity projects, including $500,000 for the Coastal Pathway along Tay and Maloja avenues at Caloundra, $80,000 to undertake design and scoping for the future Dicky Beach Skate Park renewal and $20,000 for shelter renewals at Clarke Place Park, Happy Valley.
More than $200,000 will be spent on stormwater management projects across the division, including $80,000 for Jellicoe St, Golden Beach stormwater works and rock groyne.
Council will also contribute $440,000 to construct kerbs and widen the road to formalise parking along The Esplanade at Golden Beach.
“These are essential infrastructure and environmental safeguards to support the current and future needs of our growing community,” Cr Dwyer said.
“I’m pleased council has committed an additional $1.7 million for stages two and three of the Regional Tennis Centre upgrade.
“Improvements will include renewed courts, car parking and clubhouse facilities.
“So far, this upgrade has resulted in increased tennis participation and membership thanks to the improved facilities now on offer there.”
Division 2 highlights for the 2018/19 budget include:
- $4.6 million to redevelop The Events Centre, Caloundra
- $3 million for Stage 4 of the Bulcock St, Caloundra streetscape
- $1.8 million to construct the Burke St extension, Golden Beach
- $1.7 million to upgrade the Sunshine Coast Regional Tennis Centre, Caloundra
- $500,000 to construct the Coastal Pathway between Tay Ave and Maloja Ave, Caloundra
- $440,000 to construct kerb and road widening to formalise on-street parking on The Esplanade from north of Nelson St to Onslow St, Golden Beach
- $380,000 to construct the missing pathways around the Caloundra State School Precinct
- $330,000 for Caloundra CBD activation
- $300,000 for the renewal of revetment walls at Jellicoe & Tripcony Sts, Golden Beach
- $250,000 to implement the Reserve 1000 Master Plan, including the construction of two new netball hard courts, expansion of AFL/Little Athletics field, reconfiguration of soccer fields, improvements to AFL, soccer and Little Athletics facilities at North Street, Golden Beach