- Thursday 21 June 2018
Renewing and upgrading infrastructure is a strong focus for Division 6 councillor Christian Dickson.
It’s also a clear reflection of Sunshine Coast Council’s 2018/19 $864 million budget aimed at delivering a future that is healthy, smart and creative.
“In this budget, $370 million will be spent on divisional infrastructure capital works projects over the next year,” Cr Dickson said
“It’s important that we balance the needs and expectations of the entire community and allocate funds appropriately to plan for projects into the future – while still delivering the core services today.
“The Buderim Resource Recovery Centre will benefit from a $1 million upgrade, which will strategically and sustainably manage the waste generated by our growing population.
“The Sippy Downs Drive four-lane upgrade project will receive $7.6 million as it moves to the final phase to significantly improve traffic flow and create an entry statement into the Sunshine Coast’s Knowledge Precinct.
“Navigating the morning drop-offs and afternoon pick-ups will be even smoother for parents once this next stage of the upgrade is completed.”
Cr Dickson said essential infrastructure and environmental safeguards to support the current and future needs of the community remained a priority.
“Stormwater works will be undertaken in the Toral Dr, Syd Lingard Dr, Karawatha Dr and Jorl Ct to improve drainage and flood mitigation,” he said.
“In addition to some major projects, there have been a number of other smaller projects adding to the quality of the streets and roads in our division, such as pathway renewal works at Boobook Ct ($32,000) and Mountain Creek Rd ($47,000).
“Upgrades and renewals works will also be undertaken at Pipi Place Park at Mountain Creek ($5000), Windmill Park at Sippy Downs ($15,000) and Eaton Park at Sippy Downs ($20,000).”
Division 6 highlights for the 2018/19 budget include:
- $1 million to upgrade the Buderim Resource Recovery Centre
- $7.6 million for four-lane upgrade at Sippy Downs Drive, Sippy Downs
- $305,000 to seal a section of the road at Bundilla Blvd, Mountain Creek
- $20,000 to deliver outcomes from the Sippy Downs Parks Masterplan
- $200,000 towards upgrades in the Scholars Drive school precinct, Sippy Downs
- $150,000 for stormwater management at Karawatha Dr, Mountain Creek
- $50,000 for stormwater works at Thougla Pl, Buderim
- $47,000 for the Mountain Creek Rd pathway renewal
- $25,000 towards the construction of the new Buderim Men’s Shed, Buderim
- $20,000 to renew the facilities at Eaton Park, Sippy Downs
- $15,000 to upgrade Windmill Park, Sippy Downs
- $5478 for the Buderim Palmwoods Heritage Tramway group to repaint the Kraus Locomotive, Buderim
- $5000 to renew the playground at Pipi Place Park, Mountain Creek