- Wednesday 25 October 2017
We hope you enjoyed part one of the history of Golden Beach. We continue to take you on a journey in part two.
Roy Henzell purchased the land in the Golden Beach area which had been owned by William Landsborough whose descendants had been unable to pay rates on their grandfather’s large tract of land to the Landsborough Shire Council during an economic depression.
Roy Henzell bought the 2372 acres of land from the Government and paid 593 pounds.
During World War II a military fortification was built on the northern end of Bribie Island covering the defense of Brisbane and the North West shipping channel.
The gun emplacements were operational by 1941. Young soldiers based at Fort Bribie were known to swim the waters of the Passage to Golden Beach or Bulcock Beach to perhaps attend a dance or visit a sweetheart at Caloundra.
The waters of Military Jetty were busy with the transportation of troops, goods and important war time equipment was transferred to and from the Bribie Fortification.
Henzell eventually started sub-dividing the land known as Golden Beach in 1946.
A community minded man, Henzell assisted many organisations including sports clubs and residents with their purchases allowing some of the battlers, many of them men just back from World War II, to pay their blocks off without interest.
Land offered for sale after the second subdivision, when the road went through, sold quickly. Many of the early homes were ex-army huts from Bribie Island and were used as holiday homes.
The Military Jetty Caravan Park began as a camping area in the early 1950s. It was opened by Renny Hughes who ran it for 20 years, until Fred Loveday took over in the 1970s.
The Caravan Park derived its name from the Military Jetty opposite, which had been used for military operations during in World War II.
Another Golden Beach resident was Bill Valentine who was a fisherman and could moor his boats virtually outside his door.
Bill Valentine later built a tea house and put in moorings for boats. Later he created a caravan park called the Golden Beach Caravan Park, but locally known as ‘Val’s’.
After the cessation of World War II, early residents living in the Golden Beach area started the Golden Beach Progress Association in the early 1950s.
When Roy Henzell purchased the large parcel of the Golden Beach area, an industrious group, the Golden Beach Progress Association was formed in 1947.
In 1952 the association were able to build their first hall on a parcel of land on the corner of Gregory Street and Cook Street. The hall was extended in 1957 and it was a popular club where Euchre, indoor bowls and other social activities were enjoyed by the Golden Beach residents.
Verdun and Stan Ford, with their wives Joan and Jean ran the local store, Post Office and bait shop.
Stan Ford was the President of the association and Verdun Ford was Secretary. The first meetings were held in their shop.
The group worked tirelessly and was very active in the early development of the growing Golden Beach Township which started to prosper with the group doing all they could to provide a welcoming place for all in their community.
There is so much to tell about the beautiful Golden Beach, so we hope you join us next week for the final part of this story.
Thanks to Sunshine Coast Council’s Heritage Library Officers for the words and Picture Sunshine Coast for the images.
In 2017, we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Naming of the Sunshine Coast. For more information on this milestone anniversary visitwww.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/fifty
Hero image: Bulcock Street, Caloundra, looking southwest towards Golden Beach, ca 1965.
Image 1: View over residences at Bulcock Beach towards Golden Beach, Caloundra, 1962.
Image 2: Endeavour Replica, Landsborough Parade, Golden Beach, Caloundra, ca 1976.
Image 3: Bill's Boats shop, corner of the Esplanade and Oxley Street, Golden Beach, Caloundra, ca 2000. Built in the 1950s for Bill and Cath Aspland.
Image 4: Silver Bream Convenience Store, 131 Esplanade, Golden Beach, Caloundra, ca 2010. Store located at the entrance to the Military Jetty Caravan Park which began as a camping area in the early 1950s.
Image 5: Military Jetty, Esplanade, Golden Beach, Caloundra, ca 2010.
Image 6: Monument at Military Jetty, Golden Beach, December 8, 1991.Monument erected at Military Jetty, Golden Beach to "commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the building and occupation of the defences by 2nd Air Troops on Bribie Island in December 1947 after the entry of Japan into the war.