- Monday 27 November 2017
It has been a year of great progress for the Sunshine Coast and the community can now view the highlights of 2016-17 and key information on our region thanks to the release of council’s annual report.
Endorsed by councillors at the November ordinary meeting, the annual report is one of the main ways council makes the community and stakeholders aware of the services it has delivered, the projects it has undertaken, and its achievements during the financial year.
Mayor Mark Jamieson said the annual report showed how well the Sunshine Coast was positioned heading into the new year.
“We can all look forward to the future with confidence because there is no other region in Australia that offers the opportunities that the Sunshine Coast does,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“We are building a new economy, shaping a strong community and ensuring we remain second to none when it comes to our environmental credentials.
“One of the key outcomes for 2016-17 is that numerous projects which had been in the planning stages for many years are now being delivered.
“The Sunshine Coast Solar Farm is open and feeding electricity into the grid, there has been significant civil works on the first stage of the new Maroochydore CBD and our Sunshine Coast Airport expansion project is well underway.
“All of these projects are contributing to a region that is now very well placed to tackle the challenges of the future.
“During the year, we also enjoyed a highly successful inaugural Horizon Festival, the birth of our first sporting team to play in an elite national competition, the Sunshine Coast Lightning, who went to capture the title which was a remarkable achievement, as well as the opening of the spectacular Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve Rainforest Discovery Centre which has now been honoured with a series of awards.”
Hard copies of the annual report will be available at council libraries and customer service centres and it can be viewed and downloaded from council’s website.
The major achievements for the 2016-17 included:
A smart economy
• Sunshine Coast Airport – Palisade Investment Partners were appointed as commercial operating partner in a deal worth $605 million
• Sunshine Coast Airport hit the one million passenger mark in a 12-month period for the first time
• Construction work started on the first stage of the new Maroochydore City Centre
• $240 million in total purchasing spend was awarded to local businesses
• Major events generated about $65.5 million in economic activity
A strong community
• The Council-supported Sunshine Coast Lightning won the national netball grand final in their debut season
• More than 35,000 people attended the first Horizon Festival
• Caloundra Music Festival celebrated its 10th anniversary
• More than 1830 library programs and workshops were delivered to more than 52,700 participants
• $4.1 million in community grants were provided to more than 870 applicants
A healthy environment
• A number of key centres throughout the region are being revitalised and transformed
• New $4.7 million Mary Cairncross Rainforest Discovery Centre opened
• Landholder Environment Grants program were provided $304,000 to 97 properties
• 190 new Land for Wildlife properties were registered, bringing the total to 942 protecting 8291 hectares.
Service Excellence and an Outstanding Organisation
• Award-winning online Disaster Hub managed 187,000 enquiries during ex-Tropical Cyclone Debbie
• $1.72 billion of building approvals were issued – the highest figure over the past eight years
• Construction of the Sunshine Coast Solar Farm reached physical completion
• Clean financial audit report was recorded for the eighth consecutive year
• Council and its officers received 16 awards related to outstanding performance