- Thursday 10 November 2016
The Sunshine Coast community will be able to check on council’s progress from the past 12 months thanks to the release of its annual report for 2015/16.
Endorsed by councillors at their November ordinary meeting today, the annual report is one of the key ways council is able to make the community and stakeholders aware of the services it has delivered, the projects it has undertaken, and its achievements during the financial year.
It also includes council’s audited financial statements as well as messages from Mayor Mark Jamieson, CEO Mike Whittaker and key statistics and information on the Sunshine Coast and council.
“This is a progressive time for our Sunshine Coast and 2015/16 has been a historic marker in time as a number of our region’s transformative projects have moved from planning to implementation,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“Our council has been entrusted by the residents of the Sunshine Coast to shape a prosperous future – one which offers enduring employment opportunities, better access to facilities and services, greater connectivity between communities and an outstanding natural environment.
“This is not something we take lightly and it drives the approach our council takes as an organisation in everything that we do.
“Our region is evolving as a leading city region, with new precincts, projects and developments helping to shape a future for the Sunshine Coast that is smart, healthy and creative – a region that has a strong identity of its own, but is intimately connected with the world.
“Our annual report provides a range of very useful information on council and demonstrates we are doing some outstanding things for our community.”
Hard copies of the annual report will be available at council libraries and customer service centres and it will be able to be viewed and downloaded from council’s website from next week.
The major achievements for 2015/16 included:
A new economy
- Sunshine Coast Airport expansion moved a step closer with the environmental impact statement approved
- Record number of passengers flew in and out of the Sunshine Coast Airport
- Development activity reached a seven-year high
- $180 million in total purchasing spend was awarded to local businesses
- Major events generated about $100 million in economic activity
A strong community
- More than 9000 events were held at community venues, attracting more than 600,000 patrons
- Delivered more 1800 library programs and workshops to more than 46,000 participants
- Provided $3.8 million in grants to more than 700 community applicants.
An enviable lifestyle and environment
- A number of key centres throughout the region are being revitalised and transformed
- 2830 hectares of environment land acquired since the 1990s
- 115 landholder environment grants approved to the value of almost $330,000
- 77 new Land for Wildlife properties registered with a total property size of 850 hectares.
Service excellence and a public sector leader
- Customer satisfaction with council’s services increased by 15%
- Construction of the Sunshine Coast Solar Farm commenced
- Clean audit report for the seventh consecutive year
- Recognised with more than 15 awards