- Friday 23 October 2020
Sunshine Coast Council and event partners have made the difficult decision to cancel the New Year’s Eve Mooloolaba event.
With community safety top of mind, the event will not be held this year
Notwithstanding the gradually easing COVID-19 restrictions, the annual New Year’s Eve event ordinarily attracts crowds of around 30,000 people along the Mooloolaba Esplanade and foreshore - so the public health implications of a large number of people congregating in one area needed to be a key consideration.
Sunshine Coast Council Mayor Mark Jamieson said 2020 had been a challenging year for the entire community and New Year’s Eve was traditionally, a great opportunity to reflect on the year gone by.
“When we celebrated New Year’s Eve in Mooloolaba last year, nobody would have predicted what 2020 had in store for us all,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“We’ve experienced many ups and downs this year, and it’s unfortunate to cancel the New Year’s Eve Mooloolaba event, but community safety must remain our highest priority.
“Our council is encouraging everyone to enjoy a quieter, COVID Safe, New Year’s Eve this year, either at home with family and friends or at a restaurant or venue in your local community.”
Division 4 Councillor Joe Natoli said Mooloolaba hospitality venues would still be open and welcoming in the New Year.
“While we can’t celebrate New Year’s Eve in our usual Mooloolaba style this year, many of our wonderful restaurants and venues will still be open, so if you’re planning to head out on New Year’s Eve, I encourage you to book early and support our local businesses,” Cr Natoli said.
Explore Mooloolaba at https://discovermooloolaba.com.au/
Council is currently seeking advice from Queensland Health in relation to possible opportunities for dispersed fireworks displays at coastal locations, noting that community-run New Year’s Eve events in Caloundra and Coolum have also been cancelled.
Further announcements will be made in coming weeks in this regard, dependent on Queensland Health advice.