- Friday 03 June 2016
Upgrades to a major traffic corridor in Maroochydore and transportation infrastructure and improvements to popular Coolum sports facilities and foreshore areas are among the many highlights in Division 8 during the 2015/2016 financial year.
Division 8 Councillor Jason O’Pray said he was proud to deliver a wide range of projects and developments that would provide significant benefits for the local community.
“Construction of the $20 million upgrade of Evans St at Maroochydore reached an important milestone with the northbound lane completed and opened to traffic,” Cr O’Pray said.
“Pathways and landscaping on the western side were completed and it is fantastic to see construction of this vital upgrade progressing on schedule.
“To have 13,000 cars travelling along this road each day without any major impacts due to construction is a major feat and a credit to council’s planning and consultation with the local community.
“Important upgrades were made to the Toolga St intersection at Mount Coolum and as well as major expansions and improvements at the extremely popular Mudjimba Holiday Park and North Shore Multi Sport Complex.
”The Maroochy River Foreshore Open Space Master Plan moved ahead with $1.1 million worth of works completed as part of a five year investment.
“The fifth stage of works on Bradman Ave delivered additional public art, public amenity block renovation, upgrades to the revetment wall and beach access ramp and construction of new 3m wide pathways to improve pedestrian and cyclist access.
“The popular and picturesque Chambers Island playground underwent a $122,000 renewal, the Picnic Point Public Amenity block was rehabilitated to the tune of $190,000 and significant works were carried out to ensure Maroochydore Beach was in terrific shape for the Australian Surf Lifesaving Titles which delivered a $20 million economic benefit to the Sunshine Coast.”
Sunshine Coast Council will hand down its 2016/17 budget on June 16.
Division 8 budget highlights for 2015/2016 include:
- $11.4 million to upgrade Evans St, Maroochydore
- $1.7 million to stage 3 of the Sunshine Coast Airport Program
- $1.1 million for the Maroochy River Foreshore Open Space Masterplan
- $676,000 to road rehabilitation and re-seals across the division
- $660,000 to Maroochy Beach Foreshore works
- $450,000 to upgrade stormwater infrastructure at Fourth Ave, Cotton Tree
- $640,000 to upgrade the intersection at Toolga St, Mt Coolum
- $150,000 to rehabilitate the Chambers Island Bridge Pylons
- $122,500 to renew the Chambers Island Playground, Maroochydore
- $390,000 to streetscape Duporth Ave, Maroochydore
- $660,000 to implement the Maroochy Beach Foreshore Development Plan
- $125,000 to North Shore Multi Sports Complex
- $300,000 to expand Mudjimba Holiday Park
- $200,000 to upgrade the camp kitchen at Maroochydore Beach Holiday Park
- $230,000 to renew the 50m pool heat pump at the Cotton tree Aquatic Centre
- $190,000 to rehabilitate the public amenity block at Picnic Point Maroochydore
- $129,920 to upgrade Pierce Park Playground, Cotton Tree
- $62,884 to renew the Marcoola Beach Access 103 viewing platform
- $49,249 to renew the Mudjimba Beach Access 124 viewing platform