- Last updated:
- 02 Feb 2021
Representing the whole of the Sunshine Coast. View regional boundary map.
Mayor Jamieson's office is located in the Eddie DeVere Building on the corner of Currie and Bury Streets, Nambour.
Phone: (07) 5441 8242
Fax: (07) 5475 7277
If you wish to invite the Mayor to attend an event, please email Mayorinvitations@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au and an RSVP will be provided as soon as possible.
For after hours emergencies contact council.
Mark Jamieson has led a distinguished career in both the public and private sectors. He has approached all his roles with the personal ethos to not only do well, but do good.
Mark Jamieson has been the Mayor of the Sunshine Coast Council (the fifth largest local government in Queensland) since April 2012. Mark is leading a transformational agenda to position the Sunshine Coast as one of Australia’s leading city regions – one that is healthy, smart and creative. Since early 2020, his primary focus has been on keeping the Sunshine Coast community safe in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic and providing leadership which drives and supports the recovery of community organisations and the region’s economy.
Mark’s goal is that the Sunshine Coast maintains its distinct and enviable identity, but is intimately connected to the world – offering opportunities for its residents today and well into the future.
Foremost of all in shaping Mark’s approach is a strong, ingrained affinity with the Sunshine Coast’s outstanding environment and natural assets and his connection with the region’s greatest resource, the community. Mark’s entire approach as Mayor is about balance and that is what shapes everything he does.
In his time as Mayor, Mark has driven a major regional infrastructure program that is arguably the most innovative mix of public and private investment opportunities in Australia – one that will deliver jobs, opportunities and connectivity for the residents of the Sunshine Coast for decades to come.
Today, the Sunshine Coast Council is one of only three councils out of the 77 councils in Queensland to receive a strong financial sustainability rating from the Queensland Treasury Corporation. The strength of Mark’s leadership as Mayor is evidenced by:
- He has delivered eight consecutive budget surpluses and achieved consistent unmodified audit reports from the Queensland Audit Office.
- The Sunshine Coast has been independently rated as having the second strongest performing economy in Queensland and is continuing to experience some of the highest levels of business confidence.
- The Sunshine Coast generated more than 23,000 jobs in high-value industries and unemployment has declined to as low as 5% during his time as Mayor.
- Council has acquired and now manages what is arguably the most extensive local conservation estate in south east Queensland.
- Under Mark’s leadership, Sunshine Coast Council has achieved national recognition for a number of its environmental programs, including being the first government in mainland Australia to offset more than 100% of its electricity consumption with energy from Council’s solar farm and the Australian-first blue carbon partnership that will help to provide more sustainable land-use option for the Blue Heart, which is 5000 hectares within the Maroochy River floodplain.
Since October 2016, Mark has represented his Mayoral and Councillor colleagues across the state as President of the Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ), where he has achieve record levels of funding for the local government sector from State and Federal governments.
In his role as a member of the Council of Mayors South East Queensland, Mark has been at the forefront of advocating for a City Deal for south east Queensland and has championed the bid for Queensland to host an Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032. Mark’s commitment to these two initiatives is driven by a single and simple objective – to secure the necessary and long overdue transport and digital infrastructure investment needed for the Sunshine Coast. As a member of the Olympic Candidature Leadership Group with the Prime Minister and the Premier, Mark is well placed to ensure this important infrastructure legacy is delivered for the Sunshine Coast from participating in hosting the Games.
Prior to his election as Mayor in 2012, Mark enjoyed an extensive career of 29 years in chief executive and senior leadership roles in media and publishing, with strategic and operational responsibilities for customer satisfaction, staff development, business performance and shareholder growth.
Mark is also active across a range of representative and not-for-profit organisations reflecting his passion for the community, in roles such as:
- Director of Pacific Area Newspapers Publishers Association
- Director of the Sunshine Coast Helicopter Rescue Service
- Member of Rotary Clubs of Hervey Bay, Toowoomba East and Rockhampton Sunrise
- Patron of Sunnykids, the Beacon Foundation, The Friendship Force of the Sunshine Coast and the Sunshine Coast Sports Federation
- Vice Patron of the Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club and Surf Life Saving Queensland
Mark is also a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management and a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. In 2008, Mark completed an Executive Leadership Program at Harvard University in the United States. In 2017, Mark was awarded the University of Southern Queensland’s Community Service Alumni of the Year.
2008 - Executive Leadership Program, Harvard University, Cambridge USA
1990 To 1995 - Bachelor of Business (Distinction) with double major in Marketing and Human Resources Management (University of Southern Queensland).
A strong united team at council which:
- delivers a robust economy
- makes a strong community
- creates an enviable lifestyle and environment, and
- provides value for the community by delivering quality leadership and services.
- Beacon Foundation
- Blackall Range Woodcrafters Guild Inc.
- Kenilworth Hall, Show and Recreation Ground Assoc. Inc.
- Kenilworth Historical Society
- The Friendship Force Of The Sunshine Coast Inc.
- Lilley & District Rifle Association (at North Arm Shooting Complex)
- Maleny Show
- Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club Inc. (Vice President)
- Surf Life Saving Sunshine Coast
- Surf Life Saving Queensland Assoc. (Vice Patron)
- Sunshine Coast Aero Club
- Sunshine Coast Agricultural Show
- Sunshine Coast Sports Federation (Co-Patron)
- Sunshine Coast Hockey Assoc.
- Yandina & District Historical Society Inc.
- President, Local Government Association of Queensland
- Director, Council of Mayors South East Queensland
- Director, LGIAsuper (Local Government Investment Australia)
- Chair, Local Disaster Management Group
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member, Australian Olympic Committee (Qld) Team Appeal Committee for Rio 2016
- Member, LifeFlight
- Honorary Membership: Rotary Club of Woombye-Palmwoods
- Honorary Membership: Rotary Club of Mooloolaba