- Last updated:
- 09 Feb 2017
I found out about the My Summer Workplace Internship program through my time at council as part of my university degree. Having recently completed my studies in Regional and Urban Planning I could utilise my skills in several planning related tasks.
Some key skills obtained during my placement included:
- Understanding of planning scheme and policies
- Effective communication in a team environment
- Interaction with the public and other departments within council
- Knowledge of common requirements for development applications
- Insight into common issues experienced in developing on the Sunshine Coast
Whilst university gave me a great grounding in my discipline, the experience I obtained at council applying this knowledge in a practical sense was invaluable. Working within a highly skilled and knowledgeable team has given me the opportunity to gain exposure to emerging planning issues in a large and diverse region with many exciting projects currently underway.
The support, training and learning opportunities I received while at council has highlighted the great support network available to Interns while at council. I would highly recommend my Summer Workplace program as a launch pad for students or new graduates wanting to kick start their career or gain valuable experience in their chosen discipline.