Fixed food business licence
If you are planning on selling food from a cafe, takeaway or other fixed premises you may need a food business licence. Find out more about the licensing process and fees.
If you are planning on opening a cafe, restaurant, food manufacturer or similar you may need a food business licence. Before applying for a licence you should read the food business licence FAQs (DOCX, 331KB) to check that what you are planning requires a licence or is covered by an exemption.
Steps for getting a fixed food business licence
Review these 4 steps to make sure you get it right.
Step 1 - Check other approvals
Before submitting a food licence application you should check if other approvals are required:
- Planning approval - contact Development Services on (07) 5475 PLAN (7526)
- Building approval - contact a private certifier
- Plumbing approval - contact Development Services on (07) 5475 PLAN (7526)
- Trade waste approvals - contact Unitywater.
Step 2 - Prepare a plan application
To assess the suitability of your proposed kitchen, council requires that you submit a food business plan application. You can apply online for a plan application through MyCouncil by:
- Log in or register as a new user of MyCouncil, if you haven’t used MyCouncil before it is quick and easy to register
- click on submit application and select food business plan assessment
- upload your kitchen floor plans and elevations
- pay the application fees, the 2022/23 plan application fee is $659.
Once your application is received, council will assess the suitability of your premises against Food Standard 3.2.3 and the Design and Fitout Guide for Food Businesses.
Note: If there are aspects of your premises that do not meet the requirements you may have to provide additional information or change yours plans. If you have already started building your premises prior to receiving the approved plans, you may have to modify the design if it is non-compliant.
Step 3 - Food business licence application form
Once you have received the approved plan and approval letter:
- A food business licence application (DOCX, 299KB) will be sent to you. The appropriate category will be indicated on the application form as per your plan assessment discussion.
- Complete the application form and pay the associated fees. You should apply approximately 20 days out from when you intend to start the business.
- When you submit the application form also nominate a food safety supervisor.
You can submit your food licence application by email to [email protected].
Step 4 - Final inspection
Council will organise a time with you to undertake a food safety inspection to determine the suitability of the premises.
If council determines that your application complies with the Food Act 2006 , you will be issued a food business licence certificate which will need to be displayed when you are operating.
For additional resources please visit The Food Pantry.