Commercial use of community land

Council is committed to protecting community land for the use of the community.

Operating a business on community land requires a permit.

Council follows its community land and complementary commercial activity policy (PDF, 107KB) to access applications.

Community use is the first priority. Council looks at how the business activity could benefit the area and the community.

Community land includes:

  • parks
  • roadways
  • pathways
  • footpaths
  • trails
  • beaches
  • foreshores
  • some waterways.


There are 4 types of permits.

High-use/high-impact permits

High-use/high-impact permits are for business activities that:

  • have a higher amount of use
  • located in high profile areas
  • may have a more significant impact on the use of community land.

For example this could include a refreshment van at a fixed location. For more information, visit the high-use/high impact permits page.

Low-use/low-impact permits

Low-use/low-impact permits are for business activities that:

  • are not rated as high-use/high-impact
  • will have a lower amount of use.

For example this could include personal training on community land, itinerant vendors or activities managed by not-for-profit organisations. For more information, see the low-use/low-impact permits page.

Outdoor dining permits

Outdoor dining permits are for businesses wanting to conduct outdoor dining outside their food and drink business. Outdoor dining:

  • supports local business
  • enhances the use of footpaths
  • creates vitality and ambience
  • ensures community safety.

For more information visit the Toolbox website.

Goods on footpath permits

Goods on footpath permits are for businesses wanting to display goods for sale outside their shopfront. For more information visit the Toolbox website.

Seasonal business

Operating a seasonal business can be a popular option. There are specific requirements when operating on community or private land. Council's fact sheet (PDF, 171KB) explains the rules.

  • Roadside vending and street stalls

    Council regulates roadside vending and street stalls. This ensures the activities are safe for all road users and pedestrians. For seasonal business activities refer to the section above. More information is available from the Toolbox website.

  • Footpath dining/goods on footpath

    Council monitors the standards of operation of food premises that provide footpath dining. For more information on footpath dining visit the Toolbox website.

  • Film production

    Council regulates film production. This ensures the least disruption to local residents and business. Also, that the activity is conducted in a safe manner. Visit the Toolbox website.

  • Holding an event

    Council regulates events to ensure that they are safe for patrons and to prevent nuisances for the surrounding community. For more information, refer to the Toolbox website.

  • Advertising signs

    Council manages movable advertising devices on council and state-controlled areas. Council commits to providing a well-managed region that promotes and attracts visitors while ensuring a safe and healthy environment. Visit the Toolbox website.

  • High-use / high-impact permits

    Local businesses can carry out a range of activities on Sunshine Coast public land. The main purpose of public land is for community use and enjoyment. Council awards high-use / high-impact permits for activities on this land that benefit the community. For more information visit the High-use / high-impact permits page.

  • Low-use / low-impact permits

    Council will consider applications for low-use / low-impact permits for commercial activities where the activities will have a lesser intensity of use, and are not high-use / high-impact. See the Low-use / low-impact permits page.

Sunshine Coast Council acknowledges the Sunshine Coast Country, home of the Kabi Kabi peoples and the Jinibara peoples, the Traditional Custodians, whose lands and waters we all now share.
We commit to working in partnership with the Traditional Custodians and the broader First Nations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) community to support self-determination through economic and community development.
Site help & accessibility
Sign-up for our newsletter
Follow us
© Sunshine Coast Regional Council 2008 - 2023