- Last updated:
- 15 Nov 2019
Is your business disaster ready?
Summer time is storm and fire season and natural disasters cause hundreds of millions of dollars of damage each year. The best way for your business to cope in these circumstances is to have a plan before disaster strikes. To help you, we have released a Be Prepared - a guide for business continuity during weather events. Our Business Development Facilitators are always happy to provide support to local businesses, so get in touch today. Make sure you go to our Disaster Hub at times of floods, fires, storms or other disasters to keep up-to-date.
Council's annual report for 2018-19 released
- 14 November 2019
Council's 2018-19 Annual Report demonstrates a strong financial position, says Mayor Mark Jamieson. “There is no better place to be at this time than the Sunshine Coast - to live, work, recreate, raise a family or run a business. Council is supporting major investments to entrench the future prosperity and liveability of our region. We have a strong financial sustainability rating from Queensland Treasury Corporation - one of only three councils out of 77 to do so." Read the 2018-19 smart economy outcomes here.
Treat your clients and staff to Elton John
- 14 November 2019Elton John’s Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour is coming to Sunshine Coast Stadium and this is your chance to provide your clients with an experience unlike anything else. Treat your guests to this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with the only corporate packages to include food and beverage. This coupled with the premium grandstand seating will be sure to leave a lasting impression.
Top tips helping businesses B-Well & Prosper
- 14 November 2019More than 330 Sunshine Coast business owners and staff are taking advantage of B-Well & Prosper. Make sure you don't miss out on these popular resources - Leading Workplace Wellbeing Toolkit, Unpack Series of videos and the article '5 Tips To Deal with Stress'. We are also excited about the latest release - 'Navigating Conflict in Relationships'.
Sunshine Coast Business Awards
- 9 November 2019A huge congratulations to all the Sunshine Coast Business Awards winners and finalists. It was wonderful to be able to honour and celebrate all your hard work and great achievements on Saturday night and we can't wait to support you through your exciting next steps as we continue to grow this region together.
All your local faves in one spot
- 6 November 2019Are you a producer, artist, designer or butcher? Come to our newest venture - Flavours of the Sunshine Coast at The Wharf Mooloolaba where all local-artisan, hand-made products are now under one roof! The co-op provides valuable market intelligence to producers and a space to experiment and get real-time feedback so our business support officers can better assist you.
Sign up for more info. Read more.
Bound for Success Business Podcast - Huddle Insurance episode
- 1 November 2019This episode of Bound For Success we speak to Huddle Insurance. They’ve established their largest Australian presence here on the Sunshine Coast, with a new and innovative campus in Bokarina featuring the latest technologies. Join us as we talk tech with Huddle's COO Andrew Carey. Listen on website, Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Android.
Finding funding made easy
- 30 October 2019Sunshine Coast Council has partnered with Australia’s most powerful grant search engine, Grant Guru, to connect the regions businesses and community groups to more than
$35.8 billion worth of grants. The Sunshine Coast Funding Finder is a comprehensive search engine that connects you to local, state, federal and private grants - all from one easy-to-access location. Read more.
We made the Smart21 2020
- 23 October 2019The Sunshine Coast has again been named in the top 21 smartest communities in the world for 2020. The Intelligent Community Forum (ICF) announced its annual Smart21 Awards, making it the sixth time the Sunshine Coast has been recognised by the ICF in its Smart21 Awards as a global leader. Listen to our Top7 podcast episode with the ICF from this year's awards. Read more.
Grant and Funding Support
- 21 October 2019
If you want to reduce your energy spend you can apply for funding through Department of Environment and Energy for equipment upgrades that reduce energy consumption.
Invest team on world stage
- 16 October 2019The Sunshine Coast has proven it is not only the best in Australia, but is now also recognised as one of the best in the world, after winning an international economic development award in the US. The International Economic Development Council (IEDC) awarded council the Promotional Video Award for its multimedia marketing of the Sunshine Coast International Broadband Network. Read more.
Sunshine Coast in Pearcey Foundation Awards finalists
- 15 October 2019Congratulations to Sunshine Coast technology business leaders Professor Dave Lacey, Managing Director of ID Care, and Stan Kaine, CEO of Point Duty, who have both been named finalists in the Pearcey Foundation Queensland Awards, celebrating their significant impact in the ICT industry. Well done teams!
Sunshine Coast proves to be best in the business
11 October 2019
Sunshine Coast business Helimods has been recognised as an outstanding export success story by securing the 2019 Premier of Queensland’s Award for Regional Exporter. Advanced Aquarium Technologies (AAT) was also a finalist at the event in the Regional Exporter Award. The local businesses joined 42 other leading exporters from across the Sunshine State last night to celebrate the products and services Queensland is sharing across the globe. Helimods will represent Queensland at the National Awards to be held in Canberra on 3 December.
Container Cafe brewing up new business
10 October 2019
A new commercial container café business on community land in Happy Valley at Bulcock Beach, Caloundra is off to a bright start. A budget was approved by council for construction and fitout of the new cafe. Hospitality experts Hiller undertook a detailed design of the new café to ensure the internal layout was suitable for a wide range of potential operators while providing enough space and equipment to run a sustainable business. Happy Turtle Café operator Chloe Donaldson said it was an exciting opportunity to establish a business with a point of difference.
Local champions recognised
- 9 October 2019Congratulations to Leigh Kelson, who has been named as a SCRIPT Entrepreneur in the Region. A serial entrepreneur, cloud computing pioneer, and media tech veteran, Leigh has founded 10 ventures over the past 30 years. We are also congratulating the Innovation Centre’s Business Development and Marketing Manager Renee Coman who was announced as one of 19 Digital Champions by the QLD Government.
Grants and funding support
9 October 2019
Get your EOIs in for the pool of scholarships available for women to participate in a range of leadership development courses through Women and Leadership Australia, expressions of interest close 22 November.
Business podcast - being honest about who you really are
1 October 2019This episode we talk to Sunshine Coast Council Group Executive Jeanette Allom-Hill about her career at Microsoft and coming to the Sunshine Coast Council. Jeanette says being honest about who you are and what you are passionate about can help you land the perfect position. She reminds us to learn from every experience, and never regret. Listen to the entire series on Apple Podcasts or Android.
Submarine cable landing station ready to connect us to the world
- 26 September 2019
Providing Queensland’s first direct international data and telecommunications connection to global markets is another step closer with the completion of the cable landing station at Maroochydore. The cable landing station will house the connection point for the international submarine cable with land-side communication networks and is a vital piece of infrastructure that will help deliver much-needed diversity for Australia’s international communication needs.
Congratulations to our regional stars
- 9 October 2019Sunshine Coast brewers Your Mates brought home the Best New Brewery Award from The Beeries Awards! It has been great to watch your progress from Grow Coastal and beyond. Twelve more food and beverage businesses will have the opportunity to take part in GrowCoastal in 2020, apply before 13 December to get involved. Another Sunshine Coast company kicking goals is The Happy Snack Company which has been a staple for healthy snacks across Australia and has now extended the range to include dairy-free chocolate-coated options, thanks to an extension to their Landsborough factory. You can find the tasty nibbles on shelves at Coles and Woolworths, and they are allergen free!
Mooloolaba says 'I do'
- 17 September 2019Mooloolaba now has a Wedding Strategy, including a new website and magazine, with Sunshine Coast Council and Mooloolaba Chamber of Commerce hoping they can help local businesses by boosting the numbers of loved-up couples tying the knot in the region. With the average wedding costing around $35,000, before guest accommodation and spending, this is a real opportunity for Mooloolaba businesses to benefit from the 100 attendees per event.
Caloundra shopfront makeovers
- 6 September 2019Does your shopfront need a face-lift? A pilot program to help give our region a boost is underway, with up to $5000 (or 50% of costs) on offer for shopfronts to be enhanced. The pilot is open to businesses in areas along Bulcock and Centaur streets as well as parts of Tay Avenue. Other areas will be considered if the pilot proves successful.
Innovation boosts business
- 6 September 2019Local businesses that prioritise innovation increase their sales of new products and services by 20% and higher, according to the SCRIPT 2018-2019 Regional Innovation Benchmark. The report shows Sunshine Coast businesses were more likely to introduce novel, new-to-their-business innovations than their Queensland and Australian counterparts. Sunshine Coast businesses also showed a higher-than-average uptake of contemporary business practices and are significantly more likely to have an innovation strategy and an e-commerce platform.
Boosting business through events
- 6 September 2019This financial year about 60 major events will be held across the Sunshine Coast, injecting $74 million into our economy. Take advantage of the opportunities to promote your services with these top tips to help stimulate our economy. We can all contribute to encouraging visitors to spend more time in our beautiful region, to help build destination advocates that will rave to their social networks about our Sunshine Coast. Check out our events page to plan ahead!
Regional Plan delivering jobs
- 2 September 2019The region's new five-year economic plan has been launched, to continue to bolster our region’s growth, as set out under the 20-year Regional Economic Development Strategy 2013-2033 (the REDS). In the first five years of the REDS, the Sunshine Coast economy grew by $5 billion, there are now more than 23,500 additional careers in our high-value industries with more than 500 new businesses opening annually, and household incomes have increased by 25% to $1260. Under the new five-year plan, a suite of 40 economic actions will be delivered.
Bound For Success! Sunshine Coast business podcasts
- 1 September 2019At times we might dream about a life of sunshine, beaches, palm trees and coconuts, but for the Goslings, a 3am light-bulb moment a decade ago has led to the creation of COYO – the World's first coconut yoghurt. Get to know Sandra Gosling in our latest business podcast. In case you missed our earlier episodes, catch up on Bound For Success. Episodes released monthly, so subscribe!