Landholder Environment Grant Eligibility
  • Last updated:
  • 10 Jan 2019

The following applicants and projects are eligible for landholder grants.

Who can apply?

Private rural landholders within the Sunshine Coast local government area can apply. If you have received a council grant before, you must have met all of its acquittal conditions. You can only apply for one grant each round.

Priority is given to projects that:

  • achieve cost effective on-ground outcomes
  • have high ecological value
  • have at least matching co-contributions
  • deliver benefits to the wider community.

Low priority is given to projects that council has funded before, unless the project has a well-planned staged approach.

What is eligible for funding?

Natural resource management activities

Projects must be on privately-owned rural land within the Sunshine Coast Council area. The funding can be used for natural resource management activities such as:

  • fencing to restrict stock access to significant areas of native vegetation, wetlands or waterways
  • installing  off-stream stock watering points and stock crossings
  • revegetation of degraded areas, and to establish vegetation corridors and buffers
  • reducing sediment loss on farms
  • controlling environmental weeds  to rehabilitate native vegetation
  • modifying fencing so it is more wildlife-friendly.

Other activities may be considered after consultation with a Conservation Partnership Officer during the site visit.

Associated costs

Funding is available for costs associated with the above activities, including:

  • purchase of materials, such as:
    • herbicides
    • native plants (tubestock only)
    • mulch
    • fencing wire
    • posts
  • fees for hiring qualified and experienced contractors
  • hire of specialist equipment needed to complete the project.

What is not eligible for funding?

Ineligible activities

Works or activities not eligible for funding are those that:

  • are not on private land
  • are a condition of a development approval
  • are the landholder’s legal responsibility (e.g. control of Class 1 or 2 declared weeds, boundary fencing, property rates and approval fees)
  • are the landholder’s normal responsibility (e.g. upgrades and maintenance of infrastructure such as dams, fences and tracks)
  • breach local, state or commonwealth legislation or policy
  • focus on providing private or scenic amenity e.g. landscaping
  • occur on urban properties.

Ineligible costs

You may not claim funds for:

  • your own or a relative’s labour
  • equipment purchase, servicing or costs (e.g. fuel)
  • work or purchases undertaken before making the application
  • weed management activities in production or domestic areas (e.g. orchards, pastures, crops, gardens or around dwellings)
  • contractor fees for planting native plants received from another council program (e.g. Land for Wildlife).  

Note: Council expects that landowners will undertake revegetation unless physically unable to do so.

Connect with Council