Home   |   Contact Council   |   Live Chat   |   A-Z   |   MyCouncil Log In         
Go to Sunshine Coast Council home page
Open council's Facebook pageOpen council's Twitter pageOpen council's YouTube pageOpen council's Google plus pageOpen council's Instagram page
Print this page Print this Page

Rates Information

Council funds many services and facilities through rates payments. These services include:

  • road works
  • maintaining foreshores
  • parks
  • gardens
  • libraries.

A full list of rates and charges is available in council's revenue statement.

Council issues rates notices twice a year:

  • in January –  for the six month period from 1 January to 30 June
  • in July – for the six month period from 1 July to 31 December.

Additional rate notices may also be issued when there have been adjustments to the rates and charges levied in January or July.

Land valuations

The value of your property, along with the main or primary land use, is the basis for the calculation of the general rate.  The Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM) sets this rateable value and land use. For valuation enquiries contact the DNRMLink exits to another website . For an explanation of the land use codes used by DNRM and council refer to land use codes 1 July 2015.

General rates

There are 30 general rate categories set in the annual budget for 2015/16. Every property in the region has been allocated into one of these 30 categories. Each category has a 'cents in the dollar rate' and a 'minimum general rate'. General rates are calculated by multiplying the rateable value of a property by the category's 'cents in the dollar rate'. The minimum charge applies when the resulting amount falls below the set minimum general rate for the category.

A summary of council's differential general rates categories is in the revenue statement (Section 3.2.1(i)).


If you believe your general rate category is incorrect you can object. The only ground for objection is that you believe your property should be in another category.

If you lodge an objection the rates and charges must still be paid by the due date. If the category is changed because of the objection, council will adjust the rates and advise you in writing.

Principal place of residence (PPR) - Category objection

The property where you live is called your principal place of residence (PPR). This category is charged differently than for a residential property that you own and don't reside in. A PPR is a residential dwelling or unit where at least one owner/ratepayer permanently lives.


To have a property classed as your principal place of residence complete the PPR declaration form and provide supporting documents as proof of residency.


You can apply for PPR status even if the property is held in a company or trust name. Complete the PPR declaration form for companies. The ratepayer must:

  • permanently live at the property
  • provide evidence of shares / ownership of the company / trust by the ratepayer
  • provide proof of residency.

Category objections not related to your principal place of residence

Please refer to the full definitions of each general rate category as detailed in the differential general rates (Section 3, 2.1 (i)) Table 1 of the Revenue Statement) before lodging an objection using the differential objection form.

Rates forms and documents

Statement and information

Revenue Statement Revenue Statement [PDF 734KB]
Land Use Codes Land Use Codes 1 July 2015 [PDF 95KB]
Objection forms Category Objection Differential Objection Form [Word 467KB]
PPR Objection PPR Declaration Form [Word 376KB]
PPR for Companies Objection PPR Declaration Form for Companies [Word 379KB]

Rate notice inserts

Rate notice inserts Rate insert A Mayor's Message and Differential General Rates Schedule of Rates 2015/16
Rate insert B Tourism and Major Events Levy 2015/16 [PDF 5MB]
Supplementary Rate notice inserts Rate insert A Rating Category Statement [Word 295KB]
Rate insert B Important information about your rates  [PDF 175KB]

Carbon tax refund information

Sunshine Coast Council collected carbon tax payments from rate payers during the 2012/13 financial years under the Clean Energy Act 2011. That legislation has now been repealed and the carbon pricing mechanism ended on 1 July 2014. Carbon tax liability for future emissions will no longer occur.

Council expected the carbon tax repeal and made a decision to remove those waste charges and costs from the 2014/15 budget. After paying the 2013/14 carbon tax bill, council will hold around $2.1m of future emissions funds already collected through rates. This equates roughly to $17 per ratepayer in restricted cash.

The Australian government has given councils the following options in dealing with the held funds. Either:

  • return the funds to ratepayers via a waste service, or
  • undertake infrastructure projects that benefit all ratepayers across the region. These projects would assist to make positive environmental impacts through emissions reduction.

A number of ideas were considered by council in deciding how to proceed.  Infrastructure projects are built into council's annual budget and are included in the current cost of waste services. So, council chose to return the funds evenly to all current ratepayers. This results in a refund of $16.91 to be applied to July 2015 rate notices for properties using a waste service.


Council charges interest on rates and charges not paid by the due date. Interest charges are 11% per year compounding daily.


For more details or assistance contact council's customer service centre.

Related pages


Please note: This webpage contains documents that are in PDF format only. If you would like to receive a copy of any of these documents in another format, please contact council's customer service centre.

Last Updated 15-Oct-15