The former Noosa Shire was designated a biosphere reserve in September 2007 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) – it was a first for Queensland.
This international conservation listing is awarded to an area which
- adopts an innovative approach to conservation and sustainability
- promotes a balanced relationship between humans and the reserve.
Promotion of the biosphere
Noosa Biosphere Limited (NBL) is a company run by a number of Community Sector Boards which progress the goals of the reserve under UNESCO’s charter. The sector boards involve the community in their planning and operations and liaise closely with council on policy and strategy development. Their role is to
- promote a green approach to the way people in the area live and do business
- develop a strong understanding within the community of the term sustainability
- encourage sustainable behaviour changes.
For more detail visit the Noosa Biosphere Reserve website .
For more information, please contact council’s Research and Project Officer (Noosa Biosphere) on (07) 5449 5122.