Free WiFi Trial for the Coast
Free WiFi is available across the Coast.
It has been available as part of a trial since December 2012. The initial 12 month trial was extended for another 12 months.
Council invites businesses with public WiFi to register their location and to provide feedback (see below). In the first 15 months of the trial the WiFi was used 500,000 times by around 90,000 different people.
There are signs in areas with free WiFi - they have blue and yellow writing on a sky background and say ‘Free WiFi Sunshine Coast’ (see image). It is easy to log in - just follow the on-screen instructions. You will be directed to the terms and conditions and privacy statement.
Council has partnered with local company Big Air Community Broadband to provide free WiFi broadband. Big Air currently delivers a similar WiFi service in more than 124 locations around Australia.
The free WiFi is available at 36 hotspots in 23 locations:
- council’s libraries and galleries
- council’s tourist parks at Coolum, Mooloolaba (2), Maroochydore, Cotton Tree and Mudjimba
- council courtyards at Caloundra and Nambour
- Cotton Tree and Coolum business precinct open spaces
- Mooloolaba Esplanade
- Brightwater and Bells Reach in the main park areas.
Some of these locations already had free or paid WiFi, however council's service:
- provides free all day access (24/7)
- is unconditional
- has potentially faster internet speeds
- extends beyond buildings into courtyards, parks and public spaces.
Additional WiFi hotspots are being added gradually. This is subject to success of the trial period.
Advertising on the service
Council supported this trial as a 'no cost to ratepayers' project. The cost is covered by partner Big Air and the advertising component of the service. This works as follows:
- Like many free internet services, such as YouTube, a short ad is shown at registration.
- A banner or pop-up ad may appear during your session.
- You may receive an email offer, which you can unsubscribe from.
You agree to receive these ads as part of the program's terms and conditions, but they are controlled by the program's privacy statement.
Invitation for businesses to register
Council invites businesses with a WiFi service to register their location and WiFi offering on a central database. These businesses can attract more customers by registering on the database and mapping service, as it allows residents and visitors to quickly locate and access their nearest WiFi service.
Complete the registration form below and return by email to
Businesses are encouraged to provide feedback during the trial. Please complete the feedback form below and email to
Council will evaluate the success of the trial at the end of 2014.