Free WiFi Trial for the Coast
Free WiFi across the Coast has been available since 14 December 2012. The initial 12 month trial has now been extended for another 12 months.
Council invites businesses with public WiFi to register their location and to provide feedback (see below). In the first 12 months of the trial there were almost 400,000 user sessions by around 85,000 different people.
WiFi areas are well signed. Signs have blue and yellow writing on a sky background and say ‘Free WiFi Sunshine Coast’ (see image). Logging in is easy. Just tap on the link and follow the on-screen instructions. You will also be directed to the terms and conditions and privacy statement.
Council has partnered with local company Big Air Community Broadband to provide free WiFi broadband. Big Air currently delivers a similar WiFi service in more than 124 locations around Australia.
There are access points across the Coast. The locations are:
- council’s libraries and galleries
- council’s tourist parks at Coolum, Mooloolaba (2), Maroochydore, Cotton Tree and Mudjimba
- council courtyards at Tewantin, Caloundra, Nambour
- Cotton Tree and Coolum business precinct open spaces and
- Mooloolaba Esplanade.
Some of these locations already had free or paid WiFi, however the service now:
- provides free all day access (24/7)
- is unconditional
- has potentially faster internet speeds
- extends beyond buildings into courtyards, parks and public spaces.
Additional WiFi hotspots are being added gradually. This is subject to a successful initial trial period.
About the advertising
Council supported this trial as a 'no cost to ratepayers' project. The cost is covered by partner Big Air and the advertising component of the service. Advertising allows council to provide this free service to you at no cost to rate payers. This works as follows:
- Like many free internet services, for example YouTube, a short ad is shown at registration.
- You may have an ad banner across the top of your screen or a pop-up during your session.
- You may receive an email offer, but you will always be able to unsubscribe.
You agree to receive these ads as part of the program's terms and conditions, but they are contorlled by the program's privacy statement.
Invitation to businesses to register
Council invites businesses with a WiFi service to register their location and WiFi offering. These businesses can attract more customers by registering on the central database and mapping service. This allows residents and visitors to quickly locate and access the nearest appropriate WiFi service across the Coast.
To register, complete the registration form below and return by email to
Businesses are encouraged to provide feedback during this initial 12 month trial. Please complete the feedback form below and email to
Council will undertake an evaluation of this trial.